At MEG International Counsel, our goal is to ensure you are in compliance with the law while minimizing risk and achieving the peace of mind you deserve. This is why attorney Antonio Gastélum wrote the whitepaper, Is It a Matter of FATCA or CRS? What Every Investor With Foreign Accounts Needs to Know.
It’s Not Just About Eliminating Your Tax Bill—Your Safety & Security Could Be at Risk!
When you download your copy of this essential guide for Mexican or other foreign investors, you learn how the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and its global counterpart, the Common Standard on Reporting and Due Diligence for Financial Account Information (CRS), affect your investment activities and personal privacy.
Topics covered include:
- What is FATCA?
- Why was FATCA Created?
- Who must comply with FATCA?
- What is the reporting threshold?
- What is a foreign financial institution?
- What is a non-financial foreign entity?
- How does FATCA compliance work?
- What are the penalties for noncompliance?
- What are the criticisms associated with FATCA?
- Why is FATCA confusing for foreign investors?
- How is FATCA related to CRS?
Additionally, we provide information about the following W-8 forms related to FATCA compliance:
- W-8 BEN. Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Individuals)
- W-8 BEN-E. Certificate of Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Entities)
- W-8 IMY. Certificate of Foreign Intermediary, Foreign Flow-Through Entity, or Certain U.S. Branches for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting
- W-8 ECI. Certificate of Foreign Person's Claim That Income Is Effectively Connected With the Conduct of a Trade or Business in the United States
- W-8 EXP. Certificate of Foreign Government or Other Foreign Organization for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting
- W-8 CE. Notice of Expatriation and Waiver of Treaty Benefit
Talk to Us About Protecting Your Privacy While Complying With U.S. and Global Tax Reporting Requirements
Request this invaluable guide, then call us with any questions at (800) 694-6604. Whether you need assistance complying with FATCA or CRS; wish to use residency requirements, account thresholds, timing, and financial institution reporting to trigger an exemption and avoid becoming an FFI or FI; or want to learn more about how FATCA or CRS affect your use of trusts or off-shore companies for international estate planning or foreign investment, we’re here to help.