The vast majority of U.S. estate planning attorneys, regardless of their education and professional background, focus their practice on meeting the needs of American citizens. Since the needs of foreigners who regularly do business in the United States are much more diverse, it is vital that you choose an attorney with international estate planning experience.
If you're doing business in multiple countries, you should always choose an estate planning attorney who is licensed to practice in the country where you'll be the most economically affected. For Mexican and Latin American investors, this is often the United States. Then, look for someone who is familiar with the needs of international clients and has procedures in place to readily coordinate with other attorneys and advisors who can handle different aspects of your finances and investments.
What an International Estate Planning Attorney Can Do for You
Estate planning services should always be personalized to fit individual needs, but an attorney who has experience helping Mexican and Latin American investors doing business in the United States can protect you and your family by:
- Identifying or determining the tax residence or domicile for both you and your heirs or beneficiaries
- Explaining the tax consequences of specific domicile or residency options
- Meeting with all of your advisors to ensure your plan is effective both in the United States and your country of origin
- Helping you consider non-financial estate planning factors, such as a desire to take steps to protect your personal privacy to avoid the risk of identity theft, kidnapping, or extortion
- Taking into consideration the cultural factors that affect the legacy you wish to leave for your loved ones
You can learn more about the value of hiring an international estate planning attorney by requesting a complimentary copy of our guide, 5 Ways Your International Estate Plan Can Be Pulverized by a Lawyer With No International Experience.
Request a Consultation Today
With MEG International Counsel, you'll get highly personalized, forward-thinking legal services you won't find anywhere else. Our attorneys are dually licensed to practice in Mexico and the United States and use cutting-edge technology to stay in touch regardless of where you live or where your travels take you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation to discuss how we can help you best protect your assets, save money on taxes, and plan for the future.